Monday, January 21, 2013

Inspired Butternut Squash

Tonight, unsure of what to make for dinner, I ended up being inspired by the Pioneer Woman and her recipe for Butternut Squash Risotto.
It has been a while since partner & I made anything risotto-like, and I happened to have a small butternut squash waiting to be turned into something delicious.  I had been thinking soup, but the internet changed my plans.

I didn't bother to have the recipe open as I went, so I basically made it up as I went along.  I didn't take a picture, as the orange colour combined with the lighting in my kitchen on a winter evening isn't the greatest.  It most likely would have looked like mud, which is unappealing.

half of 1 small butternut squash, peeled & cubed
half of 1 medium onion, diced
1 parsnip, peeled & sliced
1 carrot, peeled & sliced
1 tin white navy beans, drained & rinsed
Some cubed havarti cheese (although a smoked gouda or cheddar would have been nice too)
1 cup rice
half 1 tetra pack of tomato soup
1 1/2 cups water
ground ginger
chili powder
dried thyme

I started with some oil in a saucepot on a medium to medium high heat. I added the squash and cooked it while I diced the onion, which went in next.  The parsnip and carrot followed.  I then added the spices and gave everything a stir and let it cook for a few minutes until the veggies started to soften.
I then added the rice and a half cup of water.  When the water was mostly absorbed, I added half the amount of soup and some more water and the beans.  When about half of the liquid had been absorbed, I added the rest of the liquid and let everything simmer away while I made the side dish.  Right as the rice was finished cooking, I stirred in the cheese.

Since risotto is a fairly consistent smooth mouth feel, I ended up making a green salad with romaine, celery and a little bit of carrot for our side.  I also made Garlic Breath Salad Dressing.  It was a good contrast with the sweetness of the risotto.  Everything together made a nice dinner - although I did wish we had a nice crusty baguette. 

Has anything around the internet inspired you lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment